Don't wait for courage


As a society, we are very anxious and there are a lot of things that make us scared and fearful. But the sad thing is, is that there are so many beautiful opportunities we miss out on because we often wait until we have courage before saying ‘yes’. We wait until we have more confidence or “aren’t scared anymore.” But the best way to overcome that lack of confidence and to face our fears is with courage. 

The Google definition of courage is, ‘the ability to do something that frightens one,’ and there’s a quote by someone called Jill Briscoe that also sums courage up perfectly: “Courage isn’t a feeling you wait for. Courage is doing when you don’t have courage. Courage is doing it scared.” Courage pushes us to resist the impulse to shy away from the things that stir up our innermost anxieties. It is required to live life to the full. Without courage, we won’t do anything that makes us scared and we just can’t live our lives like that. In reality, if we wait for courage, we’ll never get it. Because courage isn't something you get, find or do. You already have the ability to do things that scare you, but courage is a choice. The choice to do those things that scare you, whatever the cost. 

At the moment, there are so many doors being opened for me and so many incredible opportunities arising, but every time another opportunity comes my way, my fear and anxiety tries to persuade me to say no even to things that really excite me. My insecurities get awakened and I begin to overthink and often the fears I have about it outweigh my excitement. But that’s exactly what the devil wants. The devil is afraid of us. He knows the potential we have in Christ and will do anything he can to stop us from living out the very things God wants us to do by making us afraid. But I have decided that I can’t wait for courage any longer. Instead I must find courage and in God’s strength do the things that scare me.

Courage is not easy, but once we take that first step, it can only get easier. Courage is a step of trust and faith. Of us saying to God, ‘Actually, I want to do Your will whether it scares me or not, because you have that situation in Your hands, so I have no reason to be afraid.” There are many times in the Bible where God warns His people to have courage, and many examples of biblical characters who showed great courage.

One example is David when he faced Goliath. He would have been scared, probably terrified, but He knew the Lord was with Him, so he was courageous and faced his fears, and God gave him the victory.

Another example is Joshua. God told Joshua that he would be the new leader to take the Israelites into the Promised Land now that Moses was dead. Joshua probably had many reservations, questions and fears, but God told him to be ‘Be strong and courageous,’ and to not be afraid because He was with Him, and Joshua showed great courage and obeyed God.

 Courage is not the absence of fear, but instead the commitment to overcome it, through Christ. It doesn’t mean that we aren’t afraid, it just means that we battle against our fear and confront it. So I’ve decided that I don’t want to wait for courage any longer. I don’t have time to wait for courage. God’s calling me to do things now, so I need to be obedient and say ‘yes’ even when It’s easier to just say ‘no’. Will you wait for courage or will you join me on this journey of courageous living?

Deuteronomy 31:6 – “Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes before you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”

Thank you for reading and please leave a comment below on what you thought of today’s post. I would love to hear your feedback and also receive any questions you may have! Please do click to follow my blog, and subscribe to receive email updates for new blog posts! Love in Christ,
Chloe xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty: More than what you wear

Be Still

Rise Up // Collab with Lucy Moore