Rise Up // Collab with Lucy Moore


So this post is a little different as it is a collab with my friend Lucy, who has a YouTube channel called DIVEINDEEPERlm. I’m writing my thoughts on the subject and then she’s also doing a video on her thoughts on her channel, so after reading my post definitely go and check out her video to see her thoughts on rising up as the next generation of leaders.
This post is specifically aimed at teens but feel free to continue reading even if you don’t consider yourself a young person!

As some of you may know, I recently joined the youth team at my church. This is a massive step for me in so many ways, but I know that this is 100% what God is calling me to do. He has really given me a passion for young people and sharing the love of Christ with them, and so joining the youth team has really been a God-given opportunity and a great way to start fulfilling my calling! God has been so gracious to me and I’m definitely not doing this in my own strength – being a leader does not come naturally to me at all. At first I had reservations, thinking that I couldn’t be a leader. I still do have some, but God has slowly been changing and shaping my thinking. Today I’m going to share with you the two main thoughts that the devil fed me that made me think I couldn’t be a leader. I’m thinking that I won’t be the only one who has thought these and doubted my leadership capabilities, so I hope they encourage you too.

1.      I’m not sure if women should lead
Some people believe that women shouldn’t preach or have leadership roles, and I’m still working out exactly what I think about that, but that’s another topic for another day! But when I looked up what it means to be a leader on good old Google, it came up with a few definitions, one of which means to be an example for others to follow. I realised that this means that Jesus calls us all to be leaders! I believe that as Christians we are all called to set an example that leads others to Jesus. To lead and set an example for the next generation to then do the same and lead the next generation and so on and so on. In Hebrews 12:1, our life is referred to as a race, but it’s not like a race where it’s every man or woman for themselves, it’s a relay race, where we run our leg of the race and then pass the baton onto the next generation. Being leaders gives us huge responsibility, but it is also such a privilege. God has chosen us as His representatives on earth! How awesome!?!

2.      I’m too young
This is probably the biggest lie I believed and still sometimes find myself believing. I wonder if anyone will want to hear what I have to say as I’m only 16, but the Bible talks very clearly on this subject in many places. Two of my favourite verses that I have found are 1 Timothy 4:12, which says- “Let no one despise your youth, but be an example (or lead the way for*) to the believers in word, conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”
(*added words in bold)

Another of my favourites is Jeremiah 1:7-9, which says – “Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ for you shall go to all whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,” says the LORD. Jesus uses anyone who is willing and obedient, no matter how old or young.
There are also many examples in the Bible of young leaders who set good examples and who God used for incredible things.

* Miriam, Moses’ older sister helped lead the men and women of Israel in praise and worship to God (Exodus 15:20-21).

* Esther is thought to have been only about 14 years old when she became queen, but she risked her life to serve God and save her people.

* Josiah became king at age 8 and he set a good example, and, “did what was right in the eyes of the LORD.”(2 Kings 22).

* Jesus’ mother Mary would have only been a young teenager when she became pregnant with Jesus and she set an amazing example of obedience to God despite a difficult and very abnormal situation, saying, “Behold the maidservant of the LORD! Let it be to me according to your word.” (Luke 1:38)

* And Jesus himself, set the perfect example to follow His whole life. But one particular incident occurred when he was only 12 years old, when He was found sitting in the midst of teachers in the temple, listening to them and asking them questions. Whilst respecting the older men, all those listening to him were amazed at his understanding and answers.

Therefore I want to encourage you that anyone can be a leader and set a good example and you are never too young to make a difference. The aim of this post is to let you know that God can use you no matter what, and to encourage you, if you are a young woman, to rise up. To rise up and into the calling God has for your life, whatever that may look like.

To finish, here are some words from Lucy: “I want you all to know that you can make a difference no matter what. Don’t listen to the people that put you down. Just go for it. You serve Jesus, no one else.”
Thank you for reading and please do go and check out Lucy’s video on her YouTube channel at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75BROxwfSrE


 1 Timothy 4:12 - “Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.”

Thank you for reading and please leave a comment below on what you thought of today’s post. I would love to hear your feedback and also receive any questions you may have!
Please do click to follow my blog, and subscribe to receive email updates for new blog posts! Love in Christ,
Chloe xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty: More than what you wear

Be Still